The Bounty

The Bounty

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A first for me - Pressure Canning

I have decided to step up my canning game and try the big guns - PRESSURE CANNING!
I was seeing a ton of recipes I wanted to try that required pressure canning. Broth, Sauces, Meats, Veggies ... I could go on for days.
After watching a YouTube video from Linda's Pantry on making enchilada sauce I was ready to take the plunge. I picked up the Ball canning book she referenced on Amazon. I also ran to Wal-Mart to pick up a pressure canner I paid just over $60 for The Presto 16 Quart aluminum canner.


I LOVE this book! So many ideas - totally different then the other ball blue book.
Check it out on Amazon

I already have a bunch of recipes flagged.

OK back to the sauce....

I did follow Lindas advise in her video and instead of using the poaching liquid on the peppers I used 1 bottle of Mexican beer. We are not beer drinkers so I am glad my store sold single beers. Other then that I did add 1 extra can of diced tomatoes and 4 chili peppers that where in adobo sauce.

The sauce was a breeze to make. I ended up with 7 pints total.
I have to admit I was very nervous using the pressure canner for the first time. I read my instruction manual about 8 times to make sure I did everything right. Everything turned out GREAT! The kitchen did not blow up, my jars sealed and I now have a bit more confidence to try my next recipe.

I only needed 1 bag a peppers for this recipe.




My canning wish-list  /  To-do list 
-Sloppy Joe Starter
-Bone Broth
-BBQ Pulled Pork
-End of Summer Pasta Sauce
(this should keep me busy)



No comments:

Post a Comment