The Bounty

The Bounty

Friday, September 2, 2016

Chicken Stock aka Awesome Stock

If you have ever made homemade broth/stock you know what I mean when I say I never want store bought AGAIN! I do it for a handful of reasons
#1 Saving money
#2 I know what I am eating
#3 Tastes so much better then boxed stuff.
Usually I will make a big batch of stock use what I need and freeze the rest. But now that I have my pressure canner I can process my broth to be shelf stable. AWESOME!
I always use my rotisserie chicken carcass when I make my stock. 75% of the time if a recipe calls for chicken I use rotisserie chickens for it. If I don't need stock or have time to make it I will toss the carcass in the freezer until I am ready, I do this with veggie scraps too.
When I am ready to make up a batch I pull everything together.
Here is what I did yesterday to make this golden yummy stock.

Homemade Chicken Stock
Makes 6 Quarts
2 Rotisserie chicken carcasses
7 Quarts water
Veggies to taste
Celery I cut the top 2 inches of 1 bunch
1 onion cut into chunks - I don't even peel it
4 carrots chopped
 Season to taste

Bring everything to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-7 hours.
Strain stock using a fine colander or cheesecloth. If you want a less fatty broth you can let this cool and skim off the fat. If you do this bring your broth back to a boil before filling your jars.
Pour hot stock into hot jars leaving 1 inch of head space. Wipe down rims and place your lids and rings on.
Process adjusting to your altitude
Pints - process for 20 minutes,
Quarts - process for 25 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment